We are at the end of this series of lessons from Haanel. I have done the ‘course’ before but did not engage then as I have this time. I saw it as a good read with some useful tips. School and information handling has been something I have excelled at. The first school the US Navy sent me after ‘boot camp’ was set up as a twenty-nine week course taught classroom style. I fell asleep the first hour. They don’t tell you to wake up the US Navy. They send you somewhere you do not want to go. Looking over my ‘records’ I was immediately put into the self-pace portion of the course and given five days to complete it or else. Each week had a test you were required to pass or else. Each day was twelve hours long. I did eight lessons a day and finished in four days with five wrong answers total. Haanel’s material is now accessible in the world in three days as an experience. This has been a wonderful refresher and I have had some powerful insights occur for me during the last six months. I have shared many in the past weeks and the most important was seeing how I disabled the power of my past labeling it and judging it.
This week I am focusing on commitment, especially mine and what to do next and what material to share here going forward.
Haanel writes, The fruit of this knowledge is, as it were, a gift of the Gods; it is the “truth” that makes men free, not only free from every lack and limitation, but free from sorrow, worry and care, and, is it not wonderful to realize that this law is no respecter of persons, that it makes no difference what your habit of thought may be, the way has been prepared.
Your perception, point of view, from where you stand and with what you believe, hold to be true, seen from that vantage point and then with that stuff sow your mind with those ‘seeds’. The manifested, generated and created results are then evaluated, judged and assessed, sometimes from an entirely different perception, point of view or stand and even using a different belief system. Humans cannot see themselves and the person in the mirror is a mirage unless you can ‘be with’ him or her in ‘now’. Generosity with and forgiving one’s self allows or limits your ability with anyone else.
1. When the scientists first put the Sun in the center of the Solar System and sent the earth spinning around it, there was immense surprise and consternation. The whole idea was self-evidently false; nothing was more certain than the movement of the Sun across the sky, and anyone could see it descend behind the western hills and sink into the sea; scholars raged and scientists rejected the idea as absurd, yet the evidence has finally carried conviction in the minds of all.
One small problem, we still say the sun moves! The next time say what a powerful, gorgeous sky as the earth and my position fall away from the sun. Try it and you just may see and experience something different. Another example, instead of calling that annual event a ‘retreat’ what would you experience from a ‘forwarding’.
3. We speak and even think of the Sun as “giving light.” Yet we know it is simply giving forth energy which produces vibrations in the ether at the rate of four hundred trillion a second, causing what are termed light waves, so that we know that we call light is simply a form of energy and that the only light there is, is the sensation caused in the mind by the motion of the waves. When the number increases, the light changes in color, each change in color being caused by shorter and more rapid vibrations; so that although we speak of the rose as being red, the grass as being green, or the sky as being blue, we know that the colors exist only in our minds, and are the sensations experienced by us as the result of the vibrations of light waves. When the vibrations are reduced below four hundred
trillion a second, they no longer affect us as light, but we experience the sensation of heat. It is evident, therefore, that we cannot depend upon the evidence of the senses for our information concerning the realities of things; if we did we should believe that the sun moved, that the world was flat instead of round, that the stars were bits of light instead of vast suns.
Please notice, not only your mind, but your hands, ears and eyes are not you but what you use to make ‘sense’ of it all.
4. The whole range then of the theory and practice of any system of metaphysics consists in knowing the Truth concerning yourself and the world in which you live; in knowing that in order to express harmony, you must think harmony; in order to express health you must think health; and in order to express abundance you must think abundance; to do this you must reverse the evidence of the senses.
Maybe and maybe the sense perceptions, viewed as good or bad, right or wrong, or the data stream we focus and concentrate our attention upon are myths. Recent proof that cause and effect are not the engine we have made them out to be suggests to me that our addiction to what we feel and believe is TRUE adjusts us to whatever we view and experience. When I changed the ‘truth’ prism, that I viewed through, everything changed. Any ‘truth’ that sets you free is worth keeping and using. Any ‘truth’ that binds you, condemns you, has you or others suffer may need to be set aside for later revaluation. The willingness and ability to endure suffering has power too. The evidence of the senses may have more to do with the language we use to describe the experience than the experience itself. Notice your experience as you sit in a chair. Feel how the chair holds you, touches you and notice the areas where it does not. Be with the experience for just a minute without ‘thinking’ about it. The ‘thinking’ is a description of the experience to your ‘self’, not the actual experience. As soon as you begin describing, even to yourself, you are no longer present in ‘now’.
8. As all conditions are thought creations and therefore entirely mental, disease and lack are simply mental conditions in which the person fails to perceive the truth; as soon as the error is removed, the condition is removed.
Find enough people to agree with your point of view and the conditions may become permanent! The nonsensical belief that my beliefs cannot hurt anyone else may be false. Perhaps we each vote and somebody else has to pay the consequences of our negativity or our indifference. The Heroes Journey has us slay a monster, a dragon of our own invention. The monster is not anyone else or anything else but our misperception of our ‘self’.
9. The method for removing this error is to go into the Silence and know the Truth; as all mind is one mind, you can do this for yourself or anyone else. If you have learned to form mental images of the conditions desired, this will be the easiest and quickest way to secure results; if not, results can be accomplished by argument, by the process of convincing yourself absolutely of the truth of your statement.
As long as you say, the sun sets in the west, the truth for you will always be an illusion.
13. If you desire to help someone, to destroy some form of lack, limitation or error, the correct method is not to think of the person whom you wish to help; the intention to help them is entirely sufficient, as this puts you in mental touch with the person. Then drive out of your own mind any belief of lack, limitation, disease, danger, difficulty or whatever the trouble might be. As soon as you have succeeded in doing this the result will have been accomplished, and the person will be free.
The power of prayer is real. The power of doubt is greater however. My favorite bible parable, found at Matt:21 and Mark:11, has the God of the Universe walk up to a fig tree, out of season, expecting figs for His breakfast. With no figs found, the tree cursed in hours becomes mere ash on the ground. His disciples want to know what he did so the tree became ash. I wanted to know how He could expect a fig tree to produce fruit out of season and pay the ultimate price for saying “NO” to Him. Clearly, the fig tree was able but unwilling. No, this isn’t a good time, the right time, my time, that isn’t the way we do it here and on and on. Fig trees hang out together too! Be careful to who, what and when you say no.
15. All thought is a form of energy, a rate of vibration, but a thought of the Truth is the highest rate of vibration known and consequently destroys every form of error in exactly the same way that light destroys darkness; no form of error can exist when the “Truth” appears, so that your entire mental work consists in coming into an understanding of the Truth. This will enable you to overcome every form of lack, limitation or disease of any kind.
The semantics trouble me. Light does not ‘destroy’ darkness. Technically the light came after and out of the darkness! Gen 1:2-3 and review your science notes on the Big Bang Theory. The ‘truth’ exists only in experience never as an understanding.
18. The absolute truth is that the “I” is perfect and complete; the real “I” is spiritual and can therefore never be less than perfect; it can never have any lack, limitation, or disease. The flash of genius does not have origin in the molecular motion of the brain; it is inspired by the ego, the spiritual “I” which is one with the Universal Mind, and it is our ability to recognize this Unity which is the cause of all inspiration, all genius. These results are far reaching and have effect upon generations yet to come; they are the pillars of fire which mark the path that millions follow.
This can only be ‘true’ if you are not your mind. Your minds ‘ego’, the one suggesting it is “I” is the monster dragon you need to slay!
19. Truth is not the result of logical training or of experimentation, or even of observation; it is the product of a developed consciousness. Truth within a Caesar, manifests in a Caesar’s deportment, in his life and his action; his influence upon social forms and progress. Your life and your actions and your influence in the world will depend upon the degree of truth which you are enabled to perceive, for truth will not manifest in creeds, but in conduct.
The ‘truth’ believed, a creed, is always a lie! The truth may only be experienced and any description of truth is not the truth but merely a description. Another way to say it, ‘magic’, the joy and ecstasy experience and everything manifested only happens in “now”. As long as you place your “I” in mind, or some project in the world, or on some time line you leave ‘now’ and its experience of ‘infinite possibilities’. Right/wrong, good/bad and all the other dualistic viewpoints are outside of ‘now’. They are descriptions of past incompletion. We then use an incompletion to describe some incomplete future that becomes just more of our past unfortunately! The ability to quit judging yourself, others and anything else is one door to ‘now’. The practice of defenselessness and acceptance helps anyone find the ‘door’.
21. Our environment and the innumerable circumstances and accidents of our lives already exist in the subconscious personality which attracts to itself the mental and physical material which is congenial to its nature. Thus our future being determined from our present, and if there should be apparent injustice in any feature or phase of our personal life, we must look within for the cause, try to discover the mental fact which is responsible for the outward manifestation.
The ‘current’ present if relied upon is no more than an imperfect past, recreating itself over and over. The doom and gloom of a past repeated repeatedly only produces doom and gloom. Our TRUE future determined by an ‘imagined’ future and once realized calls the present to adjust and manifest that future ‘now’, not the other way round. The ‘future’ has already happened ‘now’. Now, a ‘field’ of infinite possibilities, exists always and all ways and its access require you ‘being’ available, present in ‘now’.
23. The conditions with which you meet in the world without are invariably the result of the conditions obtaining in the world within, therefore it follows with scientific accuracy that by holding the perfect ideal in mind you can bring about ideal conditions in your environment.
Maybe those ‘ideal’ conditions already are your environment and you are confused, deluded or controlled by something or someone else, not you. Where does your ‘ideal’ originate?
28. Men have, heretofore, generally used the word “God” to indicate this Universal, creative principle; but the word “God” does not convey the right meaning. Most people understand this word to mean something outside of themselves; while exactly the contrary is the fact. It is our very life. Without it we would be dead. We would cease to exist. The minute the spirit leaves the body, we are as nothing. Therefore, spirit is really, all there is of us.
Sorry, but my body, my mind, my thoughts are not me nor am I my results, my beliefs nor this world or any other world. Contrary to popular belief, I am eternal, I am my commitments and I am my word.
29. Now, the only activity which the spirit possesses is the power to think. Therefore, thought must be creative, because spirit is creative. This creative power is impersonal and your ability to think is your ability to control it and make use of it for the benefit of yourself and others.
I realize beating a dead horse gets old but having thoughts in your mind and ‘thinking’ are nearly exclusive and different from each other. If what you call thinking is you, stop thinking that or ‘think’ something different OR notice a different thought and call ‘it’ thinking. I notice no thinking in ‘now’. When I do notice a thought, like ‘that’s a mistake’ or even a ‘positive’ judgment I am instantly out of ‘now’. Perhaps we need to spend less time thinking or having thoughts.
30. When the truth of this statement is realized, understood, and appreciated, you will have come into possession of the Master-Key, but remember that only those who are wise enough to understand, broad enough to weigh the evidence, firm enough to follow their own judgment, and strong enough to make the sacrifice exacted, may enter and partake.
Yes, everyone has the capacity, the ability and the permission to take possession of the Master-Key.
Haanel ends saying, those who find themselves in the Promised Land… have crossed the river of judgment and have arrived at the point of discrimination between the true and the false, and have found that all they ever willed or dreamed, was but a faint concept of the dazzling reality.
Yes, everyone has access to being 120% present in ‘now’ of infinite possibilities. You don’t believe that? Welcome to being a ‘fig’ tree.
Signs of Awareness