This is not my first pass through this material. Haanel was a product of his upbringing. His story and beliefs become clearer each week. We are getting close to climax, the journeys reason to begin.
This week, Haanel introduces, peaks our interest with; unfortunately, there are comparatively few persons who know how to pray.
They understand that there are laws governing electricity, mathematics, and chemistry, but, for some inexplicable reason, it never seems to occur to them that there are also spiritual laws, and that these laws are also definite, scientific, exact, and operate with immutable precision.
1. The real secret of power is consciousness of power…
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. – Alice Walker
3. … the Infinite Mind, which is the source from which all things proceed, is one and indivisible, and each individual is a channel whereby this Eternal Energy is being manifested. Our ability to think is our ability to act upon this Universal Substance, and what we think is what is created or produced in the objective world.
The ability to think is paramount and until you know how, you follow, you lose. We are trained from an early age to obey, to follow directions, to honor obedience in ourselves and in others. Rarely, people learn to THINK for themselves. You must stay inside the herd, don’t wander off, be a patriot and on and on. Having thoughts is not thinking.
6. Large ideas have a tendency to eliminate all smaller ideas so that it is well to hold ideas large enough to counteract and destroy all small or undesirable tendencies. This will remove innumerable petty and annoying obstacles from your path. You also become conscious of a larger world of thought, thereby increasing your mental capacity as well as placing yourself in position to accomplish something of value.
This is true from a certain perspective and small ideas have a way of fermenting. Some small ideas like malice, animosity, anger, doubt, joy, wonder and many others either provide the leaven for success or failure.
Beware the leaven of the Pharisees … and the Kingdom of God is like leaven… Ignore the small tendencies at your own risk.
Something hit me very hard once, thinking about what one little man could do. Think of the Queen Mary — the whole ship goes by and then comes the rudder. And there’s a tiny thing at the edge of the rudder called a trimtab.
It’s a miniature rudder. Just moving the little trim tab builds a low pressure that pulls the rudder around. Takes almost no effort at all. So I said that the little individual can be a trimtab. Society thinks it’s going right by you, that it’s left you altogether. But if you’re doing dynamic things mentally, the fact is that you can just put your foot out like that and the whole big ship of state is going to go.
So I said, call me Trimtab. – R. Buckminster Fuller
9. In this way conditions are produced and we find that our lives are simply the reflection of our predominant thoughts, our mental attitude; we see then that the science of correct thinking is the one science, that it includes all other sciences.
You get what you give, you give what you think and the thoughts you use to think build hovels or palaces. The choice is always yours unless you deny it because you are what you say you are.
12. The predominant thought or the mental attitude is the magnet, and the law is that “like attracts like”, consequently the mental attitude will invariably attract such conditions as correspond to its nature.
This Law of Attraction or Law of Love never has a bias. Perhaps the real problem is intention deficit disorder. Pay attention to your intention. If the results are not what you want then you are not paying attention to the correct intention. It could be said you either live in an attentional world or an intentional world. Which one are you focusing? Intention is the seed of action.
14. It is, however, no easy matter to change the mental attitude, but by persistent effort it may be accomplished; the mental attitude is patterned after the mental pictures which have been photographed on the brain; if you do not like the pictures, destroy the negatives and create new pictures; this is the art of visualization.
As babies, we learned that if we cry we get attention. Attention being our primary intention. When children are behaving, in a great mood, far too often that is when we find them alone. Breaking that habit is difficult. Imagine if you never left your children alone when they were happy, excited, playful and attracting joy.
18. An illustration of how these mind forces operate is suggested by the method in which all our habits are formed. We do a thing, then do it again, and again, and again, until it becomes easy and perhaps almost automatic; and the same rule applies in breaking any and all bad habits; we stop doing a thing, and then avoid it again, and again until we are entirely free from it; and if we do fail now and then, we should by no means lose hope, for the law is absolute and invincible and gives us credit for every effort and every success, even though our efforts and successes are perhaps intermittent.
How come intermittent usually lasts for a lifetime? This formula is popular, used everywhere for everything from losing weight to playing piano. Something is missing or the formula is just wrong. I have habits that are easy to implement, like my daily exercise routine. I know others who have a different experience of theirs. Brushing after meals is another easy habit of mine. Use your other hand to brush with for the next month and see if it is that way for you. Other habits like flossing are not as much fun. Fun just might be the ingredient in keeping a habit in place.
21. On the creative side are men who spend their time in laboratories, or over microscopes and telescopes, side by side with the men who dominate the commercial, political, and scientific world; on the negative side are men who spend their time investigating law and precedent, men who mistake theology for religion, statesmen who mistake might for right, and all the millions who seem to prefer precedent to progress, who are eternally looking backward instead of forward, who see only the world without, but know nothing of the world within.
This little plug for the progressive world of Haanel is one of the small ideas that will not die. All the same there are too many who are lost in their world within and fail to realize nothing happens until they ‘operate’ in the world without. The world ‘out-here’ only exists now. The good news is it is always now.
Anything that is going to happen means “now it isn’t.” – Dusan Djukich
25. The issue between the old regime and the new, the crux of the social problem, is entirely a question of conviction in the minds of the people as to the nature of the Universe. When they realize that the transcendent force of spirit or mind of the Cosmos is within each individual, it will be possible to frame laws that shall consider the liberties and rights of the many instead of the privileges of the few.
A hundred years later and people are blathering this shtick still. This ‘thinking’ introduced income taxes and prohibition. Small ideas can make a huge difference as they grow. This may be the biggest reason to ignore anything Haanel has to say. The current paradigm needs replacing. Any new paradigm will have a different set of principles at work.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. – Ludwig Wittgenstein
26. As long as the people regard the Cosmic power as a power non-human and alien to humanity, so long will it be comparatively easy for a supposed privileged class to rule by Divine right in spite of every protest of social sentiment. The real interest of democracy is therefore to exalt, emancipate and recognize the divinity of the human spirit. To recognize that all power is from within. That no human being has any more power than any other human being, except such as may willingly be delegated to him. The old regime would have us believe that the law was superior to the law-makers; herein is the gist of the social crime of every form of privilege and personal inequality, the institutionalizing of the fatalistic doctrine of Divine election.
Gag! It is true all power is from within. The rest of this editorial is agenda. Cosmic power is neither alien nor human. Democracy is a lie. The small progressive ideas introduced the turn of the nineteenth century have provided wealth for a few and acceptable comfort for many. Nobody follows laws unless they want to or mimic principles that cannot be denied like gravity.
It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. – Joseph Stalin
The paradigm created by the US constitution has been gutted with the small idea of democracy.
27. The Divine Mind is the Universal Mind; it makes no exceptions, it plays no favorites; it does not act through sheer caprice or from anger, jealousy or wrath; neither can it be flattered, cajoled or moved by sympathy or petition to supply man with some need which he thinks necessary for his happiness or even his existence. The Divine Mind makes no exceptions to favor any individual; but when the individual understands and realizes his Unity with the Universal principle he will appear to be favored because he will have found the source of all health, all wealth, and all power.
Appearances are everything. Behave, believe, and understand in a certain way, without any doubt, the Divine Mind/Universal Mind will favor you. Maybe you don’t have any experience of being favored. Change your thinking! That does not mean pretend belief what you have is a favor either. Adjust your thinking, moment to moment if required, to experience Universal Mind ‘appearing’ to favor you. This is not hard!
If you think “easy” is hard you will be in trouble your whole life. – Dusan Djukich
28. … that Omnipotence itself is absolute silence, all else is change, activity, limitation. Silent thought concentration is therefore the true method of reaching, awakening, and then expressing the wonderful potential power of the world within.
Do not confuse ‘Omnipotence’ with Universal Mind. Silence is between the notes, between the words, beneath all the noise we inundate ourselves.
Motivation is to transformation as what cotton candy is to nutrition. – Dusan Djukich