Haanel begins lesson nineteen: Fear is a powerful form of thought. It paralyzes the nerve centers, thus affecting the circulation of the blood.
Of course the way to overcome fear is to become conscious of power. What is this mysterious vital force which we call power? We do not know, but then, neither do we know what electricity is.
Last week he said all thought is sourced from Universal Mind. You may choose the thoughts you attract however. You may even learn how to attract different thoughts. Fear is a consequence of your ‘thinking’ with thoughts in a certain way. You could just as easily ‘think’ with different thoughts or in a different way to produce some other form of ‘thinking’. While there may be something to fear, there is no fear out there anymore than there is anger or any other ‘upset’. The introduction of some ‘thing’ to you your first time will produce a reaction later. A child terrified by their parent’s fear of snakes could live next door to someone who grows up with pet snakes. The subconscious once programmed sounds an alarm or pays no attention. How much of that early uncontested programming is changeable? The past is indelible.
2. In seeking the truth we are seeking ultimate cause; we know that every human experience is an effect; then if we may ascertain the cause, and if we shall find that this cause is one which we can consciously control, the effect or the experience will be within our control also.
Ultimate cause would be the principles from which all principles and rules originate. What was before the ‘Big Bang’?
Haanel is committed to the cause and effect model, often called Karma by some and it is all that he knew. The scientific method suggests if you can find any human experience not an effect [or a cause] than you can find another view. The limitations of cause and effect based on ‘thinking’ from Newtonian physics and Euclidean geometry changed drastically with quantum physics and fractal geometry. Our lives do not have to conform to the cause and effect myth but just like the flat planet myth we see the sun rising in the east. Haanel wants us to accept there is a cause we may consciously control, or its effect or the experience of it. Will he offer an answer or lead us to a point where we are on our own again?
3. Human experience will then no longer be the football of fate; a man will not be the child of fortune, but destiny. Fate and fortune will be controlled as readily as a captain controls his ship, or an engineer his train.
I am unclear how ‘fate’ and ‘destiny’ are different. The dictionary says they are synonyms. A captain may believe he controls the ship but only with the agreement of the crew unless he is the crew but then he isn’t captain of a ship. The train engineer has zero say in the destination because the track, long before he arrived, is set. For most people we also live on rails pretending our choices make any difference. What side of the train car you sit makes no difference to the destination unless you believe in politics. The perspectives fate or destiny suggests for many some kind of predetermined outcome and we can ‘think’ about it to our advantage or our unhappiness. Is Haanel offering a way to lay NEW track in front of the train? How much of your destiny is your choice or was the entire script written for your appearance ahead of time with you choosing only your perspective. Are we puppeteers or Universal Minds manifestations? Do we dance according to our will or to the “Father”?
13. We have then come to know that Mind is the only principle which is operative in the physical, mental, moral and spiritual world.
Not my or your “MIND” but the Universal Mind is the ONLY principle operating in all worlds we are aware. To the degree, we have any say over our ‘mind’ we may participate in all of them. Are there any other ‘worlds’ to discover?
14. We also know that this mind is static, mind at rest, we also know that the ability of the individual to think is his ability to act upon the Universal Mind and convert it into dynamic mind, or mind in motion.
Our ability to think will convert Universal Mind into ‘mind in motion’.
Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. – Matt 7:7
We ‘think’ with our conscious mind in a realm of thoughts. The instant we began thinking we place the subconscious mind in control at its current default mode. This mechanism enables us to drive a car, ride a bicycle or walk without really ‘paying attention’ and it works fairly well. Allowing the subconscious to rule is not my goal however. Awareness, mindfulness is the conscious mind holding onto control as long as you are not thinking! It appears that ‘thinking’ takes us out of ‘now’. When an athlete is in ‘the zone’, there is a dance of sorts between what is occurring and their doing. The moment I ‘think’, usually something I have erred, made a mistake, (a judgment, evaluation or assessment of another or myself) I am out of the dance and out of the ‘zone’. Thinking and observing may be two separate and exclusive from each other options available only using the conscious mind. How long can I remain the observer of now?
17. You may know that thought constantly, eternally is taking form, is forever seeking expression, or you may not, but the fact remains that if your thought is powerful, constructive, and positive, this will be plainly evident in the state of your health, your business and your environment; if your thought is weak, critical, destructive and negative generally, it will manifest in your body as fear, worry and nervousness, in your finance as lack and limitation, and in discordant conditions in your environment.
Here is my problem. Haanel states that all thought is from the Universal. Then his statement above it incorrect UNLESS you replace the Universal Minds thought with my thinking when the two are different. This makes it much more understandable for me.
17. You may know that thought constantly, eternally is taking form, is forever seeking expression, or you may not, but the fact remains that if your [THINKING] is powerful, constructive, and positive, this will be plainly evident in the state of your health, your business and your environment; if your [THINKING] is weak, critical, destructive and negative generally, it will manifest in your body as fear, worry and nervousness, in your finance as lack and limitation, and in discordant conditions in your environment.
Having thoughts is not thinking! Thinking is the ability to attract and construct Universal Minds thoughts into something useful if done on purpose or maybe destructive if left on automatic. Allowing our early programming to run without oversight is not thinking. The subconscious does not think. It processes, remembers, alarms and makes no judgments. The subconscious is clueless and is a force to use or be used by. The conscious mind is able to think, organize, plan, imagine and program the subconscious. When you realize you can observe both the subconscious mind and the conscious mind, who is the observer?
20. What are our schools, our universities, but mental powerhouses, places where mental power is being developed?
I suggest they are the very places mental power is misused, misplaced and managed for a benefit not yours or mine. This is the Perfect Plan in my opinion. [A short 50 minute rant I created four years ago.]
22. What is this raw material which is being collected in these thousands of mental powerhouses all over the world and developed into a power which is evidently controlling every other power? In its static form it is Mind – in its dynamic form, it is Thought.
Universal Mind and its’ Thought is what Haanel is claiming is being collected at the powerhouses. Are we manipulated into thinking to serve others and is that really thinking or is your subconscious programmed for you? How much control are you able to take back for your definite major purpose?
What we think, we become. – Buddha
You are either what you think or what someone else decides you should think. How do you know the difference?