Haanel this week asserts, The ordinary man, who has no definite knowledge of cause and effect, is governed by his feelings or emotions.
Haanel does not make a clear distinction between ‘having thoughts’ and ‘thinking’. Most people seem to believe that ‘having thoughts’ is no different than thinking. Sorry but receiving thoughts one is immersed in is no different than watching a television for your ‘programming.’
The subconscious is a receiver, like any radio or television. Some say it is a friend and others wonder just who it is working for. The conscious mind has the ability to ‘think’ a different tune. However, most of what people do is out of subconscious habit and then justify their behavior afterwards. Regardless of who or when the programming took place, operating as a robot or machine is still being completely at ‘effect’ of something not you, not your purpose. Living on autopilot is for not for me.
Every effect is the result of a certain definite cause.
As long as you are only an ‘effect’, no amount of thought peddling will ever cause anything new. Copying others, using others thinking, only takes you as far as them. The insights gained once you ‘see’ the source of cause are constant and ongoing.
…the man who understands that there is no effect without an adequate cause thinks impersonally. He gets down to bedrock facts regardless of consequences. He is free to follow the trail of truth wherever it may lead. He sees the issue clear to the end, and he meets the requirements fully and fairly, and the result is that the world gives him all that it has to give, in friendship, honor, love and approval.
If you are emotionally attached to any method and even the outcome you are at the effect of it, NOT the cause. Believing your ‘emotions’ are a useful barometer or a compass means you are still operating at effect of others, many long dead and laughing from their grave.
1. Abundance is a natural law of the Universe. The evidence of this law is conclusive; we see it on every hand. Everywhere Nature is lavish, wasteful, extravagant. Nowhere is economy observed in any created thing. Profusion is manifested in everything. The millions and millions of trees and flowers and plants and animals and the vast scheme of reproduction where the process of creating and recreating is forever going on, all indicates the lavishness with which Nature has made provision for man. That there is an abundance for everyone is evident, but that many fail to participate in this abundance is also evident; they have not yet come into a realization of the Universality of all substance, and that mind is the active principle whereby we are related to the things we desire.
Living for lack, having to eat the food you find disgusting because children are starving elsewhere has always been nonsense. Success is nothing more than focusing your mind on something, acting, adjusting your actions based on your focus and continuing to act, always focusing on where you want to go. What you focus on is the key to everything. Focus on what you want; no matter what happens, and take action, you will get it. Along the way, gratitude, service, appreciation become fuel or the struggle will bind you to lack.
10. Even so, a thought is dropped into the invisible substance of the Universal Mind, that substance from which all things are created, and as it takes root, the law of growth begins to take effect and we find that conditions and environment are but the objective form of our thought.
Haanel skips over this issue time and time again. The ‘thought’ is your ability to think something not thought before. Any other thought is not thinking but having thought what another thought. You cannot think something opposing the Universal Mind’s wishes. If your wish is Hers/His and you operate from a position without any doubt mountains move. In my life very few move themselves with true volition and conviction, much less mountains.
11. The law is that Thought is an active vital form of dynamic energy which has the power to correlate with its object and bring it out of the invisible substance from which all things are created into the visible or objective world. This is the law by which, and through which all things come into manifestation; it is the Master Key by which you are admitted into the Secret Place of the Most High and are “given dominion over all things.”
Notice the capital “T” in Thought. Again, having a thought is no great feat considering we are immersed in the stuff. THINKING is something entirely different and once you know how, your “Thought” may be a seed, a cause, providing it be in alignment with Universal Mind.
Nearly everyone allows the subconscious mind to focus unconsciously and automatically. You can learn how to focus consciously and intentionally so everything flows from what you focus on. Consciously and intentionally focusing on what you want will lead to what you focus on actually happening in your life. However, you have to be willing to pay the price to learn how to do this. If there ever was a price worth paying, this is it! Having somebody else’s thoughts with your thinking produces whatever they wanted.
13. This creative power depends upon our recognition of the potential power of spirit or mind and must not be confused with Evolution. Creation is the calling into existence of that which does not exist in the objective world. Evolution is simply the unfolding of potentialities involved in things which already exist.
Unless you recognize your own true power you are not the captain in charge of your life and destination but just some flotsam used, evolving along the path you stumbled upon whether on purpose or not.
14. In taking advantage of the wonderful possibilities opened up to us through the operation of this law, we must remember that we ourselves contribute nothing to its efficacy as the Great Teacher said: “It is not I that doeth the works, but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the work”. We must take exactly the same position; we can do nothing to assist in the manifestation, we simply comply with the law, and the All-originating Mind will bring about the result.
15. The great error of the present day is the idea that Man has to originate the intelligence whereby the Infinite can proceed to bring about a specific purpose or result. Nothing of this kind is necessary; the Universal Mind can be depended upon to find the ways and means for bringing about any necessary manifestation. We must, however, create the ideal, and this ideal should be perfect.
This is the age-old riddle of course. If you believe your ‘will’ is source you may be in for a rude awakening. You have no ability to manifest. Universal Mind manifests. You operate in alignment or suffer. You may want to review Matthew 7:21, Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
17. It has been explained that the law of causation depends upon polarity, a circuit must be formed; this circuit cannot be formed unless we operate in harmony with the law. How shall we operate in harmony with the law unless we know what the law is? How shall we know what the Law is? By study, by observation.
Harmony is not cooperation, following the rules perfectly and especially NOT rocking the boat. The rules only point to a boundary and the rules on the court are not the same as the rules in the stands. Unless you have experienced ‘harmony’ the concept is either a myth or a lie for you. Being ‘righteous’ about anything eliminates the likelihood of harmony or mastermind appearing. Mostly righteousness is about what is ‘wrong’ in the world or what is missing. Nothing is missing by the way. Discovering how to ‘forward the action’ is fuel for harmony to appear.
20. It will be exactly the same with you, if you entertain thoughts which are not in accordance with the Infinite and cannot therefore be polarized; there is no circuit, you are isolated, the thoughts cling to you, harass you, worry you, and finally bring about disease and possibly death; the physician may not diagnose the case exactly in this way, he may give it some fancy name which has been manufactured for the various ills which are the result of wrong thinking, but the cause is the same nevertheless.
Completing the circuit is forwarding the action. Completing the circuit is found exactly where you are afraid to go. The subconscious is not my friend in the matter in my view and must constantly be retrained to do my bidding to complete the circuit.
21. Constructive thought must necessarily be creative, but creative thought must be harmonious, and this eliminates all destructive or competitive thought.
There are essentially only two games to play. One is the finite, destructive, competitive games with tons of rules, a beginning, an end and one winner. The other game is creative, infinite and has no end where all the ‘players’ win as long as they play the game.
22. Wisdom, strength, courage and all harmonious conditions are the result of power and we have seen that all power is from within; likewise, every lack, limitation or adverse circumstance is the result of weakness, and weakness is simply absence of power; it comes from nowhere, it is nothing — the remedy then is simply to develop power, and this is accomplished in exactly the same manner that all power is developed, by exercise.
Power that is ‘force’ and therefore weakness is all the rage today. True power, empowers all associated with it. Any choice that offers an easy path or using power based on force can only end in failure.
23. This exercise consists in making an application of your knowledge. Knowledge will not apply itself. You must make the application. Abundance will not come to you out of the sky, neither will it drop into your lap, but a conscious realization of the law of attraction and the intention to bring it into operation for a certain, definite and specific purpose, and the will to carry out this purpose will bring about the materialization of your desire by a natural law of transference. If you are in business, it will increase and develop along regular channels, possibly new or unusual channels of distribution will be opened and when the law becomes fully operative, you will find that the things you seek are seeking you.
Knowledge will not, cannot, does not apply itself! Using your conscious mind, with ‘intention’ for a definite major purpose congruent with Universal Mind is the KEY. Notice YOU are not your conscious mind nor are you your subconscious mind. Both are at your disposal. As long as you exist as robot tied to the herd, you are only an effect and NEVER a cause.
Being cause in the matter of everything in one’s life as a stand one takes on self and life, and acting from that stand. It is not true that you are the cause of everything in your life; rather this is a place to stand – a place from which to deal with life that you have chosen for yourself. It simply says, “You can count on me (and, I can count on me) to look at and deal with life from the perspective of my being cause in the matter.” In taking this stand you give up the right to assign cause to the circumstances, or to others, or to the waxing and waning of your state of mind – all of which leave you helpless (at the effect of). When you see how this works, it will be clear that taking this stand does not prevent you from holding others responsible. – Werner Erhard